Following consultation with tri-campus groups of faculty, staff and senior administrators with regards to the future of learning analytics at U of T, in 2021 the OVPIE published a Strategy Paper which includes a framework to guide our learning analytics capacity development. In this context, learning analytics are understood as “the measurement, collection, and analysis and reporting of data about learners and their contexts, for purposes of understanding and optimizing learning and the environments in which it occurs”.
While some existing work has already started at U of T, our review of existing work highlighted many interesting areas for advancement that can be broadly grouped into four areas or sets of goals:
- Improving student learning experiences and outcomes
- Enabling instructors and staff to access and leverage learning data in support of teaching and learning activities
- Empowering students to plan and manage their learning paths
- Optimizing structure and support of digital learning environment
Based on the recommendations set out in the Strategy Paper, the OVPIUE has initiated five major project areas for development in 2022. Projects now underway are as follows:
- Data-Driven Design: Quercus Analytics 2021-22
- Quercus Instructor-Facing Dashboard
- Quercus Record Store
- Program Level Data Exploration
- Updated Notice of Collection
The OVPIUE will continue to provide updates on emerging initiatives and opportunities for participation, engagement and feedback. Please contact email@example.com for further information.