- Predictive and adaptive learning analytics in online and hybrid course delivery
Description This project makes use of predictive and adaptive learning analytics with the broader goal of contributing to the reinvention and re-imagining of undergraduate education through the enhancement of the delivery of LIN204H5 English Grammar. This is a high enrolment course that is delivered both as a fully online course and as a hybrid course taken by many international students […]
- BioLEAP: Biology Learning Engagement and Assessment Platform
Description Students entering their first year of undergraduate biology have difficulty coping with the demands of undergraduate life sciences curriculum. Many do not understand how their current coursework and laboratory activities connect to other courses, ultimate learning goals as they progress through their undergraduate studies, and expected skill set outcomes. In part this is due to the nature […]
- Developing game-based learning approaches for undergraduate geoscience education
Description Game-based learning is an innovative teaching approach that promotes student engagement and active learning within a safe classroom environment. Our proposed project involves: Creating game-enhanced learning environments using commercially-available discipline-specific cooperative board games in undergraduate Earth Sciences courses Student-led development of a new board game to enhance Earth Science education via gamified mineral exploration Thorough assessment of learning outcomes to […]
- T135Y Calculus — implementing computational assignments
Description Presently, first-year calculus courses in the Department of Mathematical and Computational Sciences (MCS) are delivered in a traditional format including assessment done through online/written assignments and supervised tests. As industry moves increasingly towards valuing computational methods over pen-and-paper computation, introducing numerical methods early will give our students an additional useful skill. This project will […]
- Academic writing in first-year chemistry using peer-to-peer feedback: experiencing the process of research article submission
Description This project develops and assesses a writing assignment on an open-ended topic in two large first-year Chemistry courses (CHMA10 and CHMA11 [ around 2200 students per year]) using the PeerScholar platform. We will develop a number of resources to support teaching assistants and students on topics like how to give and receive feedback. This project will primarily support the […]
- The virtual mystery: engaging students in large courses with an online hybridized problem-based learning project
This project includes a series of online hybridized problem-based learning cases that self-release weekly photos and clues to groups of 5-10 students through the Learning Management Engine (LME) and facilitate collaboration between student groups to develop critical thinking
- PIPS (Puzzles in Political Science): an academic module bank for political science courses
problems within Political Science to encourage a Problem Based Learning (PBL) approach.
- University of Toronto Outdoors (UTO): engaging place-based and expeditionary learning
This project seeks to enrich the University’s connection to its physical environment by developing a strong and immersive pedagogical practice in the humanities and social sciences around histories, cultures, and politics of its environment, through experiential learning.
- Diversifying astronomy: Introducing Indigenous astronomy and sky lore into the astronomy classroom
The program will develop a methodology to incorporate Indigenous knowledge into astronomy courses while honoring Indigenous cultures and peoples.
- Integration of movement breaks into the undergraduate classroom: keeping students and instructors active and engaged
Under this project, we produced 8 3-minute videos to support the delivery of in-class movement breaks. Movement break videos consisted of stretches, light aerobic exercises, and mindfulness activities developed and led by certified fitness and mindfulness instructors.