- Interdisciplinary curriculum alignment and pedagogical collaboration through communities of practice and learning
Description The Department of Mathematical and Computational Sciences (MCS) is comprised of three related disciplines: Computer Science, Mathematics and Statistics. Each discipline has recently begun extensive curriculum mapping and renewal initiatives, creating a unique opportunity for interdisciplinary collaboration. Our project will drive the creation of new interdisciplinary courses and programs which align with well-integrated curriculum […]
- Academic writing in first-year chemistry using peer-to-peer feedback: experiencing the process of research article submission
Description This project develops and assesses a writing assignment on an open-ended topic in two large first-year Chemistry courses (CHMA10 and CHMA11 [ around 2200 students per year]) using the PeerScholar platform. We will develop a number of resources to support teaching assistants and students on topics like how to give and receive feedback. This project will primarily support the […]
- The virtual mystery: engaging students in large courses with an online hybridized problem-based learning project
This project includes a series of online hybridized problem-based learning cases that self-release weekly photos and clues to groups of 5-10 students through the Learning Management Engine (LME) and facilitate collaboration between student groups to develop critical thinking
- PIPS (Puzzles in Political Science): an academic module bank for political science courses
problems within Political Science to encourage a Problem Based Learning (PBL) approach.
- Integrating problem-based learning in the high school science curriculum: a service learning opportunity for undergraduate science students
s project will provide undergraduate chemistry and environmental science students with an opportunity to engage in service learning by developing and implementing an educational program in the Peel District School Board (PDSB).
- Assignments across disciplines: a digital assessment resource and community of practice
The aim of this project is to create a community of practice (CoP) focused on assignment design that will build and sustain an open-access educational online resource to support student writing across the disciplines.
- A drone-based remote sensing system to enhance undergraduate education
This project will purchase an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV or drone) and an attached multispectral imager for undergraduate education at the Koffler Scientific Reserve (KSR).
- University College experiential learning
This project will provide funding to engage sessional faculty in course development, experiential learning infrastructure cultivation, and pedagogical development beyond the regular labor exchange covered by regular teaching contracts.
- Collaborating across biology programs to enhance communication skills
The project will establish expected learning outcomes for Life Sciences students with respect to their communication, science literacy, and critical thinking skills as they enter upper-level courses and upon completion of their programs.
- University of Toronto Outdoors (UTO): engaging place-based and expeditionary learning
This project seeks to enrich the University’s connection to its physical environment by developing a strong and immersive pedagogical practice in the humanities and social sciences around histories, cultures, and politics of its environment, through experiential learning.